As you know, Thanksgiving kicks off the holiday season with a full belly. At least 80% of all Americans travel for the holiday. I know that those who are traveling by road will be traveling the crowded interstates. For those taking the back roads, I’ve put together a list of ten cars that have at least 400 horsepower and seat four people comfortably. Tell me which one you’d like to take.
- Audi S8: The 2013 Audi S8 has 520 horsepower, yet it isn’t a car that is 6000 pounds and fast in a straight line like a Rolls. Instead, it weighs 4400 pounds. With Audi’s signature Quattro AWD system, the S8 will go where a Rolls would never think of going. Do you know of any full-size sedans other than the S8 than can get to 60 in 3.5 seconds? Plus, the interior will enclose you in Alacantara and leather sourced from the finest tanneries in the world. Not a bad way to travel…
- Bentley Mulsanne: Would you like to make an even grander entrance than the S8? If you do, take the 2013 Bentley Mulsanne. A 505 horsepower 6.75 liter, twin turbo V8 powers the massive Bentley to a heart-stopping 4.8 seconds to 60. It might not be as fast as the S8, but it will look better at speed. All four of you and your lucky friends will be enshrouded in pillowy, massaging seats that have leather.
- Cadillac CTS-V Wagon: The Caddy is one of the more powerful cars here, yet one of the first choices for a back-road blast. The CTS-V Wagon is fast, with a top speed of 190 mph (governed!), and it will carry turkeys, luggage, and plenty of eggnog and brew for Thanksgiving without breaking a sweat. Plus, it will look like you are having a blast. Which you WILL be, right?
- Dodge Charger SRT-8: The Charger has long held a soft spot in my big car heart. It’s fast, it makes a statement, and it’s loud. What’s not to love? Plus, the SRT-8 can be purchased for under $50,000! 60 mph comes up in a show-stopping 4.3 seconds. This makes it the large family-oriented performance car of the century!
- Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec: The Hyundai is the first Korean performance sedan. It competes with the Mercedes-Benz E550, yet offers almost as much room as a MBZ S-Class. It may be smaller than the gigantic Equus, but it’s MUCH more fun to drive. Plus, it will get people asking what it is. Some will think it’s a Lexus, others will think is a Mercedes. Tell them it’s a Hyundai, and take some photos for me!
- Jaguar XJL Supercharged: The 470 horsepower, 5.0 liter engine is powerful enough to move this big boy. Fast. The interior is even nicer than the engine. There is a suede-like material that Jag used for the headliner that is very soft and nice. The engine is so powerful that you can load up the trunk and have your friends in the back stretched out. What’s not to love?
- Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged: The Range Rover Supercharged has a 510 horsepower engine that is basically the same one you’ll find in the XJL Supercharged. This powerful engine will take the nearly 5000-pound SUV to 60 in a mere 5.2 seconds. Plus, it will haul all your gear wherever you want it. You can quite literally load up the shotguns and go hunting wild turkeys in the Rockies. Plus, it’s got a very similar interior to the XJL Supercharged. Not bad for an SUV that costs almost $120,000.
- Mercedes-Benz GL550: The GL wowed the 2013 Motor Trend SUV of the Year judges so much that they named it SUV of the year. It’s the first MBZ to win that title since 2001. The GL550 doles out globs of torque and 429 horsepower. It’s powerful, fast, quiet, AND it will follow the Range Rover Supercharged. For a while. The Designo interior rivals that of the luxurious S-Class, with comfortable leather seats that seat seven. Plus, you can take all your gear in the back and still have room. It’s bigger than an Escalade, yet smaller than a Navigator EL.
- Porsche Panamera GTS: The powerful Panamera GTS will haul four people in relative comfort, thanks to it’s leather-covered Recaro seats. It has AWD and 430 horsepower. It’s like the Nissan GT-R Black Edition, with two more doors! And a rumbling V8! Plus, it will get 24.5 mpg on the highway! VROOOOOOOOM!
- Tesla Model S Signature Performance Edition: The 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year deserves to be on this list. Why? It’s extremely powerful electric motor produces 416 horsepower at the wheels. This means that it’s there as soon as you start it. It might not have the range of the Mulsanne or the Panamera, but it will make the most amazing entrance ever. It carries almost as much as a Chevy Equinox, plus it has 285 miles of range! Plus, you can get to 60 in jolting 4.0 seconds! This is one silent VROOOOOOOOOOOM!
Have fun daydreaming about what could be, when you’re stuck on the interstate wishing you’d taken the backroads. These cars may not be ‘The Family’s New Car’, but they definitely have serious style! P.S. Do you have any cars that have at least 400 horsepower and seat four comfortably? I’m sure you do…